Onion Roast or Onion Roast masala is a very simple recipe with very less ingredients. I'm really not sure if the title I have given is right because I just make it as side dish/dry curry for Roti/Appam/Dosa etc. One of my dearest friend used to bring this as a regular side dish for lunch when we were doing our PG. I got a request for this recipe from an 'unknown' friend and thought of posting it for him/her and of course for all of you :)
- Onion Med Size - 4(very finely sliced)
- Ginger a small piece finely chopped(or 1 tsp)
- Small Green chilly - 1(slit into halves)
- Curry leaves few
- Coriander leaves finely chopped - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Oil of your choice - 2 tsp(I use coconut oil)
- Salt to taste
- Heat up a kadai/Non-stick pan in medium heat, pour oil. Add curry leaves, ginger and saute for few seconds.
- Add Onion, salt and saute well till onion turns light brown color and becomes soft. This will take some time, keep the flame in medium heat and keep stirring in between.
- Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala and stir well to mix everything.
- Add few chopped coriander leaves and stir again. Let it cook again with masalas for say 3-4 mins.
- Switch off the flame and move to a serving dish. Garnish with few more chopped coriander leaves curry leaves. Serve warm with Chappathi/Dosa/Appam..
1. Add/Reduce spices to adjust to your spice level(you can also opt out chilly powder if the garam masala you use is very spicy)
2. You can add one finely sliced tomato as well and saute till it becomes soft if you need to add bit sourness to the onion roast.