This is a Hershey's recipe which I jotted down sometime back and make it often since this is a simple and ezee to make chocolate cake. I made this on my hubby's birthday three months back as well, with a very simple chocolate frosting but didn't get a chance to click pictures. Made this yummy Dark Chocolate picnic cake again on this Father's day, I know there are many sweets/desserts that can be made on this particular day but whenever I plan to do something on my hubby's birthday or special occasions my son comes up with his idea and say 'Amma, how about a chocolate cake?? Acha will love it ". So again I baked this cake, dad and son's favorite being chocolate I went again for a chocolate cake.
My husband had already booked tickets for an Air Show held here in Baltimore by US Air Force team Blue Angles, but it was nothing planned or related to Father's day. It was more like a picnic fun, we carried some food and stuffs, laid a blanket under the tree, sat there and watched the Air Show, it was really a different experience, kids - especially our son enjoyed it a lot. We took this 'Picnic Cake' along with us for the Air Show, kids and my husband really loved it. Then I understood why this is called a 'Picnic cake', this is one of the best cakes than can travel with you for picnics, potluck parties and all the fun activities. A very light, moist chocolate cake that can be served as it is, or frost with any choco or whip cream frosting to make it a Birthday cake or serve it as a dessert with a generous gallop of vanilla Ice-Cream. Make this at home today and Enjoy Ezee baking :-)
Ingredients Used :-
- All purpose Flour/Maida - 2 Cups
- Baking Soda - 2 tsp
- Salt a pinch
- Sugar - 1 Cup
- Boiling Water - 1 cup
- Butter - ¼ cup
- Semi Sweet Chocolate chips - 1 Cup
- Sour Cream - ½ cup
- Eggs - 2
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 Degree F. Grease a baking pan and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and set aside.
- Put Chocolate chips and butter in a large wide bowl, pour the boiling water on top little by little stirring continuously with a wire whisk till the chocolate chips and butter is fully melted. Set aside to cool.
- Put the sour cream in another bowl, stir with a spoon or whisk to remove the lumps if any.
- Now add the eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract and sugar to the chocolate mix and use a whisk to mix them thoroughly. You can use a hand mixer or electric mixture to do the process as well.
- Add the sifted flour mix, little by little to the wet mix, stirring them continuously until everything is blended well.
- Pour to the prepared baking pan(batter should be half the pan, don't pour pan-full of batter) and bake for 30 -40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.
Linking this to Swathi's Favorite Cake Recipes Event, Sara's Event Cooking with Love Series hosted at Torviewtoronto, Radhika's I Love Baking #5 and Let's Cook #16 ~ Kids Special