Wishing Everyone a Very Happy New Year 2015
Hope Everyone had a great New Year Celebration. Guys, New Year resolution anyone?
I took a break from blogging and many activities to get four day long weekend and be with my kids and best-est buddies. The holidays were really fun filled with New Year Celebration with our small group of close knit friends here, potluck food, dance and Masti. Kids enjoyed the most, dancing on 'Thudakkam Maangalyam' song and many more. This was followed by our very close friends visit from New Jersey, catching up with them after so long was so happy and exciting :)
Holidays are over, kids have to get back to schools and we are looking ahead for an exciting year ahead. So here I'm wishing you all a Very Happy, Prosperous and Fulfilled New Year 2015. Let the Almighty bless everyone with peace and Happiness on Earth.
Now let us get back to today's Recipe Dahi Vada or Thayir Vada.
I made them recently as a starter on my son's birthday party. This is pretty quick and ezee option for snack/starter for parties, the only longest time taken is the four hours soaking time for Urad Dal.
So here is how I made it. Do give it a try and let me know the results !
Thayir Vada Aka Dahi Vada is an Indian chaat made with Urad Vada doused in thick yogurt. The deep fried Vadas are immersed in water and then transferred to thick Yogurt. Vadas remain soaked in yogurt for a couple of hours before serving to make them soft and spongy. So Make them for sure and enjoy with your loved ones :-)
For Urad Vada/Medhu Vada:-
- Urad daal - 1 Cup
- Whole Pepper slightly crushed - 1 tbsp
- salt to taste ~ 1 tsp
- Oil to deep Fry
- Yogurt - 2 Cups
- Coriander Chutney - ½ cup(** Recipe Below)
- Water - ¼ cup to make the yogurt Mix a little thin if it is too thick(add only if needed)
- Salt to taste
- Chilly powder
- Chaat Masala - 1 tsp
- Coriander Chutney (** Recipe Below) - 3 tbsp
- Finely chopped coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
Coriander chutney for garnishing:
- Curry leaves few(~ 5 Leaf )
- Green chilies chopped 1-2 Numbers
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin 1 Tablespoons
- Finely chopped coriander leaves 1 Bunch
For Urad Vada/Medu Vada: -
- Wash the Urad dal and soak them for four hours.
- Grind it into a thick paste, add water little by little as you grind only if and as needed. Add salt and crushed black pepper, mix well with a spoon.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop a spoonfuls of batter. Deep fry till golden brown. Continue the procees until all the batter is done. Switch off the stove
- Put the hot vadas in cold water, few at a time, and keep for two-three minutes. Take them off the water, squeeze out any excess water and set aside.
- Add cumin, green chilies, coriander leaves, curry leaves and salt in a mixer and grind well. Set aside.
- Divide the chutney for Garnishing and
For Yogurt/Dahi Mix: -
Add ½ cup of Coriander Chutney and salt to the yougurt and Mix well. Set Aside till ready to serve.
Assembling and Serving: -
In a flat dish or tray, arrange the Urad Vada and pour dahi mix over them. Garnish with coriander Chutney, chilly powder, chat powder and coriander leaves. Set aside for an hour before serving.
Move into serving dish and serve.
You can serve them chilled by refrigerating it no more than 30 minutes which is how I love them, but I don't prefer doing this in the cold winter here. If you live in a zone where it is not cold go ahead and serve them cold :-)