- Tender Mutton/Goat cut into medium size pieces - 2lbs(~1kg)
- Turmeric Powder - ¾ tsp
- Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste(¾ tsp)
- Garam Masala - 1 tsp
To Roast and Grind:-
- Grated coconut – 2 cup(to make coconut paste)
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Dry red chilies - 3
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Shallots roughly chopped - 3(or a small piece of onion)
For Mutton Gravy:-
- Onion sliced – 3 Medium(~ 2 cups)
- Tomato chopped – 2(~ 1½ cup)
- Potato cut into medium cubes – 2 small(~ 1cup)
- Chopped Green chilly - 5
- Ginger thinly sliced – a small piece(~ 1tsp)
- Water ~ 3cups
- Curry leaves
- Coconut oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1tsp
- Onion chopped - 2tbsp(or shallots chopped)
- Dry Red Chilies – 2
- Curry leaves few
- Wash mutton two-three times well and pat dry. Marinate with the 'To Marinate' ingredients and set aside for 1 hour.
- Put the marinated mutton and 'For gravy' ingredients together in the pressure cooker and pressure cook for two-three whistles.Take off the stove and set aside till the pressure goes off fully.
- Meanwhile take a frying pan/kadai, add the grated coconut, curry leaves, dry red chilies, onions and saute in medium flame till coconut turns golden color and start giving nice aroma.
- Add the coriander powder and saute till the color turns brown(not deep dark brown) but make sure not to burn the coconut mixture.
- Remove and set aside, let it cool down completely. Grind this mixture into a very fine paste.
- Open the pressure cooker and add the ground coconut paste to the cooked mutton, add water if needed according to the gravy you require.
- Switch on the stove in between medium-high heat and cook the mutton again. When the gravy start to boil simmer and let it cook for another seven-ten mins. Remove from flame.
- Heat up another small pan, pour oil, add mustard seeds, when they start to sizzle, add chopped onion, curry leaves and red chilly, saute for while till onion turns golden brown.
- Pour over the mutton curry and serve warm preferably with Ghee Rice or Naan/Roti.
- It taste great with Pttu/Appams/Dosas/Idly as well. Enjoy!!!
Note:- Add/reduce water according to the gravy requirement.