- Kallumakkaya/Mussels Big - 2lbs(before shells removed)
- Turmeric powder - ½tsp
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - ¾ tsp(adjuslt to taste)
- Fennel seeds crushed/coarse ground in a mortar - ¼ tsp
For Stir Fry:-
- Onion very thinly sliced - 3 Cup(4 Med Size)
- Ginger and Garlic chopped fine/Crushed together in a mortar - 1 tbsp each
- Green Chilly Chopped fine - 8
- Tomato sliced fine - 1½ to 2Cup (2 Med)
- Salt - ½ tsp(to taste)
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Garam Masala - 1½
- Curry leaves two sprigs or more
- Coriander Leaves chopped - 2 tbsp + to garnish
To Garnish(optional- I didn't do it this time):-
- Wash the mussels two-three times to remove all the dirt stick on the shell. Place them in a wide vessel/Pot with water to cover the mussels and bring to boil with lid on.
- You will see the shell open and mussel leave the shell from one side and form shape instead of sticking on both sides of the shell.
- Take off the stove and drain off water. Let it cool
Mussels cleaning Process in Pics
- Separate the flesh from the shell and discard the shell. Remove the black color dirt inside the mussel meat. Remove byssus(a strong group of filament like hair) inside the mussels as well.
- Pour water in a bowl and put mussel meat in it. Rinse gently to remove any sand/dirt in the meat once or twice.
- Marinate with Salt, turmeric, chilly powder and crushed fennel seeds. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat a tsp oil in a pan, place the mussels and shallow fry on both sides till they are light brown. Move them to a bowl and set aside.
- Pour oil in the same pan, add curry leaves, minced ginger and garlic and saute till raw smell goes away for a minute or two.
- Add Green chilies, sliced onions, salt and saute very well in medium heat till they turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and saute till they start releasing water content. Break the tomatoes as you saute and let everything blend together well.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander leaves and saute well to mix. Add the shallow fried Mussles/Kallumakkaya and saute well to combine.
- Cover and let it cook for three-five minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add garam masala and more curry leaves, saute well, cover and let cook for another two-three minutes. Check for salt and adjust. Switch off the stove and set aside till you prepare rice.
For Ghee Rice:-
- Jeera Rice/Basmathi Rice - 3 Cups
- Water - 5 ½ Cups
- Cinnamon Stick - 2 inch size broken into halves
- Green Cardamom Pods - 4
- Cloves - 6
- Bay leaves 2(optional)
- Whole Pepper corns ~ 7 nos(optional, I like to add them though normal recipes do not call for it)
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Ghee ~ 1 tbsp
- Freshly squeezed Lime Juice ~ 1tbsp(optional)
- Salt to taste ~ 2 tsp(check and adjust accordingly)
- Garam Masala - ½ tsp
Dumming the Biriyani in low heat:
- Repeat the process with remaining rice, masala, fried cashews, raisins, onions and garama masala.
1. You can dum biriyani in the conventional oven the same way by layering rice and masala. Use a microwaveable tray and cover it airtight using the proper airtight lid or the heavy duty silver foil sheet.
2. If you look at the recipe, I've used very less chilly powder instead have added lot of green chilies where the spice comes in. If you want them more spicy you can add chilly powder or increase the amount of green chilies as this recipes is a medium spicy one.