Thursday, April 28, 2011

Unniyappam/Unni Appam (Neyyappam)



Unni Appam is something that my son can never say 'no' to, he sits on Kitchen counter top to see me making them and starts eating from the time its out of the pan. When my Grandma and Aunt used to make it when we were kids I used to gaze at them the same way and I always thought its a tedious job until I started making it by myself. Though I used to cook pretty much before marriage I started making Unni Appam only after marriage especially because I wanted to make them for 'Vishu Kani'. This is yet another recipe from my Grandma which I've been making from couple of years and never went wrong. You can make this as a tea-time snack/ kids snack and for special occasions like Vishu etc


Though I've given the title 'Neyyappam' also, in Kannur(Northern Kerala) 'Neyyappam' is entirely different from 'Unniyappam' that is made of almost same ingredients but little bigger in size and different in shape. I refered them 'Neyyappam' just bcause in many parts of Kerala Unniyappam is also known as Neyyappam as they are made in Neyy -Ghee I guess. So check out for the recipe here, making them at home and Enjoy!!!!!!!

Ingredients:-
  1. Rice flour(not the fine/smooth flour, preferably puttu podi) - 2 cups
  2. Maida - 1 cup
  3. Broken Jaggery pieces ~ 2 cups(Use around 6 to 8 jaggery cubes if you are not having big Jaggery Chunks) 
  4. Water ~ ½ Cup
  5. Banana - 2(Palayankodan is normally used, I used Yellow Chiquita since I get those here) 
  6. Cardamom powder/Elakka Podi- 2tsp
  7. Dry Ginger powder/Chukku podi - 2 tsp
  8. Sesame seeds - 2 tsp
  9. Chopped Coconut Slices ~ 2 tbsp
  10. Water as and if needed
  11. Oil/Ghee to deep fry

Preparation Method:-
  • Melt Jaggery in a pot/pan by adding ½ cup of water. Strain to remove the impurities if any and set aside to let it cool completely.
  • Mash or Grind the banana with out adding any water and set aside.
  • Roast the sesame seeds and set aside(optional). Ghee roast the coconut pieces and set aside(optional).
  • Add Rice flour and Maida into a bowl, pour the melted jaggery to it, stir well with a spoon to mix. 
  • Add the ground/mashed banana and stir again. Add the cardamom powder, dry ginger powder, sesame seeds and chopped coconut slices and mix everything very well.
  • Here you can decide if you need to add more water. If the batter is very thick add water little by little. The batter should be of almost Idli batter consistency(make sure not to make them runny and thin, its ok if it is a bit thicker but if its too runny appam will not hold up together)
  • Set aside the batter for around around 2 hours.
  • Heat up the stove with Appam Pan/Vessel, pour ghee/oil just to fill half way of the holes in the pan.
  • Pour a spoon full of batter into each holes, let it cook for few minutes till the bottom become light brown color.
  • Gently turn each appam  upside down with a spoon or fork(be extra cautious and do it very slow if you are not used to it, wear a hand gloves and keep a safe distance from the pan just to be cautious)
                                            
  • Let it cook for few more minutes, check on both sides for the brown color and take them out of the pan with bamboo skewers/puttu stick or with a spoon or a fork.
                                

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, thank you so much for dropping by and leaving a note on my recipes and posts. Your thoughts are really valuable, they are my energy boosters, so let them keep flowing. Browse around for more recipes, please feel free to leave your suggestions if any.
Hope you enjoyed your stay at Cook-Ezee, visit us again!!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...