Pineapple upside down cake is our all time favorite cake with great texture and taste. It tastes really good with the topping of pineapple and cherry in butter and caramelized brown sugar, must say it is a classic dessert. This recipe do not use any cake mix, pudding etc, but even then is a super ezee and quick bake and can made for any occasions. You can serve them as it is or with a dollop of ice-cream or whipped cream. So bake them today and enjoy with your loved ones!!
- Canned pineapple slices - 1 can(i used 7 slices out of it)
- Maraschino cherries - 7
- Brown sugar - 3 tbsp(Adjust according to your sweet level)
- Butter -¼ cup
For Sponge cake:-
- All purpose flour- 1½ cup
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Baking Soda -½ tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Pineapple juice drained out of the canned pineapple - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 3
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Butter/margarine - ½ cup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Grease a 9 inch round cake pan with the butter around the edges and base.
- Pour the melted butter in the pan and sprinkle the brown sugar on top. Spread it evenly with hands removing any lumps formed.
- Arrange the pineapple slices on the brown sugar and place the cherries in center of each pineapple slice.
- Add All purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder in a wide bowl. Give it a thorough mix with a wire whisk or sift them together.
- In a bowl cream butter and sugar beating them well with a hand mixer/whisk.
- Add in eggs one at a time beating them well till creamy.
- Fold in sifted flour mix, little by little, combine them well. Add in pineapple juice and gently mix everything.
- Pour the batter on top of the arranged pineapple and cherries.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a tooth pick or cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Take out of the oven and let it cool completely.
- Keep a serving plate on top of the cake, turn plate and pan over, pat on top of the pan and remove the pan.
- The beautiful pineapple upside cake is ready to serve. You can serve them Warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!!!!
Updated Note on 6/19/2013: - You can make this cake with fresh pineapples, I've made them with fresh pineapple many times. Slice the pineapple in rounds and keep them boxed in refrigerator for couple of days. It oozes out lot of juice by itself which can be used in the batter(instead of pineapple juice from canned pineapple). Increase 1/4 cup of sugar while making the batter since canned pineapple juice is very sweet compared to the juice of fresh pineapple. It tasted marvelous and came out perfect and Spongy
Updated on 01/01/2012.