Tomato rice is a popular rice item made with sauteed spices and tomatoes, added to the boiled rice. Many people prefer to make it because of its easiness to make and moreover the leftover rice gets a very good makeover and results to be another yummy dish on your dining table. Here I'm adding another version of tomato rice which is very yummy and ezee recipe where you do not have to make the rice in advance. This is my way of making it on busy mornings for my hubby's tiffin, by the time you make some quick breakfast the pressure cooker will take care of your tomato rice. Smart option for working women as well, so friends give it a try and add this in your recipe bank of ezee cooking. Enjoy!!!!!
- Rice -1 cup
- Tomato chopped - 2 big
- Ginger finely chopped - 2 tsp
- Green chilly - 2 split into halves
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 2 tsp
- Chana dal - 1 tsp(optional)
- Curry leaves few
- Dry red chilly - 2
- Asefoetida - 1/2 tsp(optional)
- Chopped coriander leaves - 2 tbsp(optioal)
- Water as and if needed
- Wash well and drain the rice. Set aside.
- Puree the tomato in a mixer, pour into the measuring cup(the one you took for measuring rice) and check for the quantity.
- Add water if tomato puree is less than 2 cups and set aside(rice water ratio is 1:2, so always check for the tomato puree)
- Heat up the pressure cooker, pour oil, crackle the mustard seeds, add urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, dry red chilly, chopped ginger, green chilly and saute for a minute or two.
- Pour the puree, add the asefoetida and bring to boil.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the washed rice, stir with a spoon till the bottom of the cooker and pressure cook it for not more than 2 whistles.(If your stove is electric, remove from the stove after 2 whistles, since coil stays hot atleast for 1-2 mins the rice may over cook)
- Let the cooker cool completely and move to the serving dish.
- Serve warm with plain yogurt, raita, pickle or any curry if desired. Enjoy!!!