My grocery shopping for veggies are mostly from Korean/Chinese/Asian stores since I find a lot of fresh and variety of veggies there compared to Indian stores. Of course for pure Indian Veggies I do go to Indian stores itself but for fresh fish and different kinds of Veggies these Asian stores are really worth stopping by. There are a lot of different green leaves found in these markets and every time I go I grab different one's even though I might not have even heard the name of those leaves before. I just experiment them in my own way and this 'Yu Choy' leaves are one among them. Yu Choy produces thick stalks and tender green leaves. I felt they taste quite similar to the 'Chuvanna Cheera' - Red Spinach(Amaranth leaves) that we get in Kerala. My hubby love this thoran now even though he do not even know the name of this leaves till now ;)
- Yu Choy Leaves - 1 or 2 bunch
- Onion chopped - 1
- Green chilies chopped - 3 small
- Turmeric powder - 3/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil/Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1tsp
- Urad dal - 1tsp
- Chana dal - 1tsp
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Grated Coconut - 3 tbsp
- Wash well and pat dry the Yu choy bunch leaves. Chop the Choy leaves bunch along with stalks.
- Add chopped onion, green chilies, few curry leaves, salt, turmeric powder and mix well with you clean hands or toss with a spoon.
- Heat a pan/kadai, pour some coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves and stir for a minute till the dals turn light brown.
- Add the tossed Yu Choy to it and stir well to mix. Cover and cook them in medium heat for three-five minutes.
- Open and check for the salt, adjust it accordingly. Cook it lid open for some more time if it has more water. Switch off the stove.
- Add the grated coconut and stir and mix well.
- Serve hot with Rice/Roti. Enjoy!!!!!