- Vanpayar/Red Moong Dal/Red Chori - 1/2 cup
- Achinga Payar/Yard Long Beans - 1 small bunch(around 1/2 lb, oru kettu)
- Onion - 1 finely chopped
- Green chilly slit into halves - 4
- Curry leaves a sprig or more
- Dry Red chilly - 2(broken into halves)
- Turmeric powder - 3/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1tsp
- Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
- Coconut oil - 2tbsp(preferably or oil of ur choice)
- Water around 1/2 cup to cook the vanpayar/red moong
- Salt to taste.
- Wash and drain the red moong and soak for 30 minutes. Cook it till tender by adding 1/2 tsp salt (give it a whistle or two in pressure cooker or cook it covered till soft -don't overcook). Set aside.
- Wash and pat dry the yard beans, chop them and set aside
- Heat up a kadai or non-stick pan, pour the oil and crackle mustard seeds. Add in curry leaves and broken red chilies and saute for few seconds.
- Add in the onion, green chilies, salt and saute for a minute. Add the chopped yard beans, turmeric powder and saute well to mix everything.
- Cover and half cook the yard beans in medium heat without adding water. Stir in between so that they don't stick onto the pan and burn
- Add the cooked red moong/red chori and stir well to mix everything. Cover and cook for some more time say five-seven minutes till yard bean and red moong blend well and is cooked properly. Check for the salt and adjust accordingly.
- Add the grated coconut and more curry leaves and saute to mix well.
- Switch off the flame and serve warm with Rice/Roti. Enjoy!!!!!!
Sending this to The Kerala Kitchen event hosted by Kaveri @ Palakkad Chamayal and New U hosted by Vardhini a@Zesty Palatte
I am really honored and happy for receiving the 'Top Contributor Award' and 'Participation Award' from Ramya of Ramya's Recipes for the participation in her Cakes for Christmas Event. Thanks a lot Ramya for this cute awards.