The First look of them make you feel 'oh a pancake' though none of the ingredients used for making this are of pancakes. Most of the evening I make some kids snack though I never get to click a picture of them(never bothered to take pics when four hungry eyes stare at me) and this dosa appam/pancake evolved out one such evening. I gave this delicacy the title Appam as I didn't knew what to call them.This is simple, quick and ezee Appams made with Wheat Flour/Chappathi Flour, Jaggery, Oats, nuts etc. You can always mix and match the ingredients according to your choice like adding some grated coconut or opt out adding nuts if your kids don't like them or if they are too little to chew the nuts. Choice is all yours but I can guarantee you on taste, a real delicious breakfast/snack for kids healthy too without compromising on taste. :-) Enjoy!!!!!
- Whole wheat Flour(I used Chappathi Flour) - 1 cup
- Oats - ½ cup
- Jaggery ~ 1 cup broken pieces(5 to 6 Jaggery Cubes if using Jaggery cubes. Adjust according to the sweetness required)
- Water - 1 cup
- Milk - 1 cup(Can use 1 cup water instead)
- Egg - 1(optional)
- Sesame Seeds - 1tsp
- Chopped Coconut pieces - 2tbsp(optional)
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp(optional)
- Dry Ginger Powder - 1/2 tsp(optional)
- Raisins, Cashews a handful(optional)
- Ghee/Butter as required(optional)
- Put Jaggery pieces in a vessel, add ¼ cups of water and let it boil till all the jaggery pieces are melted. Strain this Jaggery syrup to another vessel to remove any impurities and let it cool completely.
- In another bowl add oats and water and mix well, set aside for ten minutes. Add Wheat flour, egg, milk and mix well with a wire whisk to remove any lumps.
- Pour the Jaggery syrup, sesame seeds, coconut pieces, raisins, cashews, cardamom powder, dry ginger powder and mix gently with the wire whisk till everything is incorporated.
- Heat up a non-stick pan/griddle, pour a ladle of the batter and spread to make a bit thick round Appams(Drizzle few drops of ghee if desired, it gives nice aroma and is good for kids health)
- Repeat the process with the rest of the batter, Serve warm. Enjoy!!!!!