Frozen Puff pastries are so very easy and handy, great and quick way to prepare snacks, may it be sweet or savory choice is all yours. Every time I buy them I end up making these egg puffs first, as they are easy to make, very filling and satisfying snack especially for kids and even grown up kids like us ;) Some boiled eggs, puff pastry and a simple onion masala cooks up this awesome snack.
Many of my friends ask me where to buy the puff pastries, so just in case you are confused check out for them in the frozen sections where you find other frozen foods. Its normally available in most of the super markets, so next time you find them you know what to make. Try out the recipe by yourself and enjoy some warm homemade egg puffs with a cup of Hot Chai!!!!!!
- Puff Pastry - 1 Sheet
- Boiled Eggs - 5
- Pepper powder ~ ¼ tsp(optional)
- Turmeric powder ~ ¼ tsp
- Garam masala ~ ½ tsp
- Salt ~ ¾ tsp + ¼ tsp(check for the taste and adjust accordingly)
- Onion finely Chopped - 2
- Ginger, Garlic finely chopped or crushed in a mortar ~ 2 tsp
- Green chilly
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Oil of your choice ~ 2 tsp
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 Degree F.Thaw the Puff Pastries according to the package instructions, it normally takes 45 mins to 1 hour.
- Peel of the shell from boiled eggs and cut them vertically into two equal halves. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on top of the boiled eggs from the ¼ tsp pepper powder and salt(Sprinkling salt n pepper is optional, I do it though)
- Heat a frying pan, pour oil, saute the onion till translucent. Add the crushed/chopped ginger-garlic, green chilies and saute till raw flavor disappears.
- Add curry leaves, turmeric powder, garam masala and saute well till the masala leaves it raw smell and combined well with onion mix. Make sure the masala mix should be dry(You can add some chopped veggies as well like carrot, green peas etc if desired)
- Once the pastries are thawed cut them vertically into three pieces through the folded lines. Cut them again horizontally into three again to get nine pastry squares
- Take a spoonful of onion masala and keep in the middle of each pastry squares, top each of them with egg halves.
- Dip your finger in water and apply it on the edges of the pastry squares.Pull the corners towards the center diagonally and seal them.
- Line them in a baking sheet and bake for approximately 15- 20 minutes or until the pastry top becomes golden brown and crisp.
- Take out of the oven and let it cool for couple of minutes. Enjoy warm with a cup of tea!!!!!!!
- I cut the pastries into 9 squares but I would suggest you to cut into 6 pieces (3 through the folded lines and 2 horizontally) to make six puffs as I felt the egg filling was heavy compared to pastry sheets. or cut one egg into four pieces and keep one small piece in each squares. But either way you won't have any problem in folding or making them.
- Instead of applying water and sticking the pastries together you can beat an egg well to make egg wash. Brush the egg wash on four sides before folding and top of the pastry after folding to get a shiny, crispy and perfect finishing when you bake.