Hope you all had a great Vishu and Tamil New Year this time. We had a wonderful Vishu too with all our friends here, Kids had all the fun. My son and daughter was super excited while waiting for their friends to show them the 'Vishu Kani(the first scene to be seen on Vishu) at home. But once the friends were here they forgot all about 'Kani' and were busy playing. Posting one of our 'Vishu Kani' picture, I know I should have posted it the very same day :-)
I've been thinking what to post next with couple of pictures and half edited recipes in draft and deicded of posting this simple and delicious 'Mango Lassi' an all time favorite Indian drink. May it be kids or grown ups everyone love Mango Lassi and I'm sure many of you makes it at home too.
Canned Mango pulp along with its juice can help you get the best taste since the mango pulp is already been soaked in sugar syrup for long and yes of course is much easy and handy with no peeling and chopping done. But all the preservatives and thoughts of what all chemical in them just stops me from using any canned food especially because I don't want the little one's to consume all those chemicals. So I always use the fresh and the very ripe mangoes with non-sour yogurt. Try it and Enjoy!!!!
- Ripe Mango - 1(~ 1½ cups when peeled and chopped)
- Yogurt ~ 1½ cups
- Sugar ~ 4 tbsp(Adjust according to your sweet level)
- Cardamom powder ~ ½ tsp(Optional, we love the cardamom flavored lassi)
- Chilled Water ~ ½ cup to 1 Cup
- Wash the mangoes, peel the skin, chop them roughly and blend them in a mixer/blender to a smooth puree.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder and blend again. Add yogurt and blend for couple of seconds. Add cold water little by little depending on the consistency you need since the Lassi is gonna be very thick with just yogurt and mango.
- Pour into a tall glass and chill for half an hour if desired(can add ice-cube if you like, I don't like to add them though). Serve cold immediately.