Thursday, May 31, 2012

EP Series - Herbs & Spices ~ Basil and Cardamom 'Event Announcement'

Dear All,

I'm really glad and excited to announce the guest hosting of Julie's EP Series-Herbs & Spices for the month of June 2012. Thank you so much dear Julie for giving me this opportunity. As many of you know that Julie started this monthly event which I believe helps us know the health benefits and use of all the herbs and spice much better. Of course we all use many herbs and spices in our daily menu, but when you are asked to cook with some particular herbs and spice as a main ingredient I'm sure you will definitely give it a second thought which will make you explore much innovative recipes. What say??? Don't you think so?? Give it a try and I'm sure you'll come up with new, interesting and excellent  recipes. 

The Herb and Spice I choose for the month is Basil and Cardamom both being my favorite. 
Did you know Basil is originally native to India? Me neither, I believed Holy Basil(Tulsi) was of Indian origin and Basil are of Italian as I see them being used in Italian cuisine more till I read about it in Wiki.Where ever may be the origin it is treated as the 'king of herbs' by many chefs and is treated with great respect in many parts of the world. Does Cardamom needs any description?? Not really, I know. But do you know Cardamom is the world's third most expensive spice by weight, outstripped in market value only by saffron and Vanilla(says Wiki). 

Before moving onto the important aspects of the event let me mention some of the benefits of Basil and Cardamom. (Health benefits mentioned here are based on the info found in wikipedia and other sources found on web. If you are told to use it for any health related medication don't rely on the notes here, please check with your physician.)

Benefits and Use of Basil:-

Compound in basil is considered to have potent antioxidant, antiviral and antimicrobial properties and potential for use in treating cancer.
Fresh Basil leaves are an excellent source of Iron.
Basil contains good amount of minerals like potassium, manganese, copper and magnesium.
Basil is traditionally used for supplementary treatment of stress, asthma and diabetes in India. 
Holy Basil(Tulsi) is used as a healing agent for cold, cough and fever.
And yes, it is used as a main ingredient in many Cuisines. 

Benefits and Use of Cardamom:-
  • Cardamom are used as flavorings in food and drink and as a medicine
  • It is said to be used to treat infections in teeth and gums, to prevent and treat throat troubles, congestion of the lungs and pulmonary tuberculosis, inflammation of eyelids and also digestive disorders.
  • It is also used to break up kidney stones and gall stones.
  • It is used as a healing agent for cold, cough and fever.
Now let me walk you through the essentials of this Event:-
  1. The event runs through the period of June 1st - June 30th 
  2. The theme for this month is Basil and Cardamom. You can use one ingredient in a dish or use both but that ingredient should be one of the main ingredients.
  3. It can vary from starter,main dish ,dessert or any other recipes,sweet or savory anything.(No recipes which don't follow this rule will not qualify for the event) 
  4. Bloggers and Non bloggers can participate. Bloggers can link their recipes with the linky tool below. Non-bloggers and blogger who find it difficult who has issues linking the recipes can send in their recipes to email id:- cookezee@gmail.com with the following details:-
Your Name:
Recipe Name:
Recipe Details:
Pic of the Dish:
(If blogger send in recipe link)

       5.  Recipe must be linked to this event announcement page and to Julie's Event Announcement  page.
      6.   You can link both Veg and Non Veg recipes.
      7.   Send in any number of entries.You can link in your old entries too (limiting 2 per person), just add the logo and the link under the post (2 archived posts)
      8.   Usage of the below logo is appreciated for all the entries.


That is not the end to it; There are 4 awards for the BEST INNOVATIVE RECIPE AWARD, TOP CONTRIBUTOR AWARD, BEST HEALTHY DISH AWARD & PARTICIPATION AWARD.

So, friends put on your innovative caps and think tight, do right and send in your recipes at the earliest before 30th June.

Notes:-
1.   Either Basil or Cardamom pods can be used or both can be used.
2.   When I say Basil, it can be Fresh basil leaves, dry basil leaves, Holy Basil(Tulsi), Lemon Basil or any variety of Basil. But make sure it is a compulsory ingredient and at-least 1 tsp of them should be used.
3.   If Cardamom is being used at-least 3-4 cardamom pods should be used.

Best Wishes to All, Happy Cooking !!!!



26 comments:

  1. I like flavour of both ingredients. Happy Hosting! Try to send recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy hosting dear,wish you all the very best!!
    Thanx a lot for hosting the EP series at your wonderful space..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy hosting linked my recipe :)
    Participate and win prizes
    The Master Chef Contest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pratibha, stumbled upon your blog & found it interesting, Happy to follow you & invite you to my space. Do drop by in your free time to http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    Good luck with the event hosting - will link the recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just linked up an archived recipe. As you picked my fave spice and one of my fave herbs, sure I'll be linking up some more during the month.
    Do check out my ongoing events:
    http://gourmetglobal.blogspot.com/2012/06/new-blogging-event-seriestaste-of.html
    and
    http://gourmetglobal.blogspot.com/2012/06/event-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy hosting..
    Awards for you in my space...Do collect..
    Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pratibha,

    Punitha of http://www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

    I love the aroma of Basil and cardamom:)

    At your free time do visit my blog Pratibha...

    ReplyDelete
  8. very nice event dear :-) will surely like to participate !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice event dear...will surely try to participate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice event Prathibha, Happy hosting dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy hosting dear.. glad to follow you.. do stop by mine sometime..

    http://jopreet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have to put my thinking hats on... will send a recipe your way soon

    ReplyDelete
  13. we have linked herbal rice recipe to this event... happy hosting...

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi have linked herbal rice recipe to this event...
    http://www.ezcookbook.net/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Prathibha, I just linked in two archived entries and one current post! :)
    Thanks so much for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi prathibha

    Am archana am your newest follower. I have submitted your logo event on my blog and submitted my link on apple mini cupcakes with an aromatic cardammom apple frosting.Please feel free to visit my blog and follow me http://tangymind.blogspot.com/
    :)Awaiting to hear your comments :) Good tat you are mallu.Am also mallu :) Nice to see ur blog an amazing blog.:)Awaiting to hear from u.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I linked my munthrikothu recipe here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi prathibha

    Again I posted one more link plantain fritters Kerala style.Am archana.I also added your logo event announcement on my blog.Please visit and drop your comments.Awaiting to hear it from u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi prathibha

      Thank u for telling it to me...I removed it and please check once again on my blog for your event on plantain fritters :)

      Delete
  19. Hi Pratibha,

    Linked my current recipe - Linguine with Pesto & roasted tomatoes.

    Happy hosting!!

    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi dear,
    submitted my recipe, Hope its fine.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi pratiba i have re attached link n post ... now its working fine... do check it... thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thank you so much for dropping by and leaving a note on my recipes and posts. Your thoughts are really valuable, they are my energy boosters, so let them keep flowing. Browse around for more recipes, please feel free to leave your suggestions if any.
Hope you enjoyed your stay at Cook-Ezee, visit us again!!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...