- Firm Tofu - 12Oz
- Onion - 1 Large(or 2 Med) cut into cubes
- Green chilies - 3 to 4 chopped diagonally
- Bell pepper/Capsicum - 1 big cubed(I used ½ red and ½ green bell pepper, you can use any color)
- Garlic chopped fine - 1 tbsp
- Spring onion/Green onion finely chopped - 2tbsp
- Salt to taste(½ tsp, check and adjust)
- Soy Sauce - 2 tbsp
- Tomato Sauce or ketchup - 1 tbsp
- Chili sauce(red or green chili) - 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chili flakes - 1 tsp(optional)
- Oil- 1 tbsp + more for deep frying
- Ajnamotto - ½ tsp(optional, I did not use it)
***Corn flour-All purpose flour(Maida) ratio I use is 2:1, so if you increase the quantity of Tofu and other ingredients increase the batter ratio according to the ratio specified.
- Corn Flour - 4 tbsp
- All purpose flour/Maida - 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste(~ ½ tsp)
- Pepper Powder - ½ tsp tsp
- Egg - 1(optional, if not using egg add 2 tbsp of water)
How I made It:-
- Chop the tofu into medium sized cubes and set aside.
- In a big bowl mix together the 'Batter Ingredients' to get a thick batter, the consistency should be thick and bit runny but not too dry. If you feel the batter is too thick add few drops of water.
- Drop the tofu in the batter and mix gently with clean hands to coat the tofu with batter. Set aside for 15-30 minutes(if possible).
- Heat up oil in a kadai/frying pan for deep frying the tofu. Mix the tofu pieces once again in the batter and deep fry them. Drain into paper towels to remove excess oil and set aside.
- Heat up another Kadai/frying pan, pour 1 tbsp of oil, add chopped onions, salt and saute till soft and translucent.
- Add chopped garlic, green chilies and saute for two more minutes or till raw smell of garlic goes off.
- Add the bell pepper/capsicum and saute well for another four to six minutes till they becomes soft.
- Add pepper powder, chili flakes and saute. Add soy sauce, tomato sauce, chili sauce and saute till they start to boil.
- Set the stove in high heat, add the fried tofu pieces and saute well till everything is combined properly and sauce is dried up.
- Take off the stove, add chopped spring onions and saute well to mix. Garnish with more spring onions when you are ready to serve.
- Serve warm as a starter or side dish with Rotis/Naan/Rice.