- Kallumakkaya/Mussels Big - 2lbs
- Turmeric powder - ½tsp
- Chilly powder - 1½ tsp
- Salt - ¾ tsp
For Stir Fry:-
- Onion very thinly sliced - 1 Cup(2 Med Size)
- Ginger minced - 1 tsp
- Garlic Minced - 1 tsp
- Green Chilly Chopped fine - 3
- Fennels Seeds crushed/coarse ground in a mortar - ¼tsp
- Coriander Leaves chopped - 2 tbsp + to garnish
- Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs or more
- Salt - ½ tsp(to taste)
- Turmeric - ¼ tsp
- Garam Masala - ¾ tsp(optional)
- Chopped coconut pieces/kothuthenga - 1tbsp
- Wash the mussels two-three times to remove all the dirt stick on the shell. Place them in a wide vessel/Pot with water to cover the mussels and bring to boil.
- You will see the shell open and mussel leave the shell from one side and form shape instead of sticking on both sides of the shell.
- Take off the stove and drain off water. Let it cool
Mussels cleaning Process in Pics
- Seprate the flesh from the shell and discard the shell. Remove the black color dirt inside the mussel meat. Remove byssus(a strong group of filament like hair) inside the mussels as well.
- Pour water in a bowl and put mussel meat in it. Rinse gently to remove any sand/dirt in the meat once or twice.
- Marinate with Salt, turmeric and chilly powder. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a Wok/Kadai/Pan, add curry leaves and chopped coconut pieces and give a quick saute. Add minced ginger and garlic, saute till raw smell goes away for a minute or two.
- Add Green chilies, sliced onions, salt and saute very well in medium heat till they turn translucent.
- Add turmeric powder, corriander leaves and saute well to mix. Add the marinated Mussles/Kallumakkaya and saute well to combine.
- Cover and let it cook for five-seven minutes stiring occassionally.
- Add garam masala, coarse ground fennel and more curry leaves, saute well for two-three minutes. Check for salt and adjust. Switch off the stove and move to serving plate.
- Garnish curry leaves and coriander leaves and serve warm with Rice/Roti.