Monday, October 7, 2013

Pazham Pori/Ethakka Appam/Ripe Plantain Fritters ~ Keralite's Favorite's Teatime Snack


Pazham Pori is one of the most popular teatime snack among Keralites. You can find this snack in any paart of Kerala, every roadside restaurants, dabas, college canteens, railway stations have them. I doubt there will be any Malayali who do not like this delicious and crispy snack and so do our family. Ripe Plantains/Nethra Pazham/Ethakka is used for making this awesome snack. It is quite ezee to make Pazham Pori if you have some all purpose flour and ripe plantains in your pantry. Since my in-laws are home I mostly have these bananas at home.

Last time when I got this banana home, my son started telling my MIL 'Amma used to make snack with these bananas with sweet filling at our old home'. My MIL didn't have any clue as to what he is talking about since he said it was not Pazham Pori. When I came back from work she told me about him bugging for some 'unknown' snack with plantains. I immediately knew he was talking about 'Unnakkaya' - another famous snack from Kerala/Malabar which I always used to make before moving to our new home.  He wanted me to make it again and I absolutely didn't have the energy and patience to go through all the elaborate process of steaming  the plantain, making the filling, rolling them with utmost patience and then deep fry them. So I thought of making this Pazham Pori which is really Ezee to make and equally enjoyable by kids and everyone in the family. Make them for the evening snack and enjoy with your loved ones!!!!



Ingredients Used:-
  1. Ripe Plaintains/Nenthrakkaya/Kerala Banana - 3
  2. Maida/All Purpose Flour - 1Cup
  3. Rice Flour - 2 tbsp
  4. Baking Powder - ¼tsp
  5. Salt a pinch
  6. Sugar - 2 tbsp
  7. Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
  8. Water - ½ Cup(use as needed)
  9. Oil for deep frying

Preparation Method:-
  • Cut the banana into half from the centre. Peel of the skin of both halves. Run the knife between each half to thinly slice them into at least 6 slice. Repeat for the bananas and set aside to make the batter
  • Add all purpose flour, Rice flour, baking powder,salt, sugar and turmeric powder into a bowl. Add water little by little till you get a lump less, thick batter. Batter should not be too runny, kind of cake batter consistency.
  • Heat up a kadai and pour oi to deep fry, keep in medium-high heat.
  • Dip banana slices one by one in the batter and drop into the oil. You can add up to five-six slices at a time according to the size of the pan used for frying
  • Turn the banana slice to cook on both sides. Make sure not to burn but fry till the covering get a golden brown color.
  • Drain off to the paper towels to remove any excess oil
  • Repeat the process with rest of the banana slices. Enjoy with hot steaming Chai/Tea !!!

19 comments:

  1. looks too tempting dear :) love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. pazham poriiiii....my fav fav snack of all time. sho kothipichu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish dear :) always wanted to try this banana snack

    ReplyDelete
  4. pazham pori looks super yummy and delicious dear :) very yummy banana snack !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very tempting and delicious snack....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am craving for some rite now..Addictive pazham pori..

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cute luking n tempting..perfectly suite to have in evngs times......

    ReplyDelete
  8. ethra thinnalum mathiyavilla... yum... it's been ages since i've had this...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This fried plaintain reminds me of our local goreng pisang or banana fritters. We use a different variety of banana yet I am loving what you have shared. Certainly a must try for another version.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to definitely try this when I get some nendrapazham, have never tasted this at all, looks superb..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks very tempting dear. Kothiyavunnu

    On-going event: What's with my cuppa?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifull looking pazam pori.loved it to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never had them, but I am so intrigued to try now. every now and then when I see these fritters in my blogger friends posts, I feel like having one. but then forget.. Should def try it out this weekend !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see this in so many blogs. Never tried them.looks so good.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, thank you so much for dropping by and leaving a note on my recipes and posts. Your thoughts are really valuable, they are my energy boosters, so let them keep flowing. Browse around for more recipes, please feel free to leave your suggestions if any.
Hope you enjoyed your stay at Cook-Ezee, visit us again!!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...