So are you checking out for some Chicken Legs/Kozhikkal. Do not get fooled by the name. Even though in Malayalam Kozhikkal means Checken Legs, there is no Chicken or any meat in this recipe. This is Malabar’s own snack known as Kozhikkal or Tapioca/Yuca Fritters .
So here is the Recipe for this delicious Malabar Snack, Koyikkal Aka Kozhikkal aka Tapioca/Yuca Fritters, Enjoy!!
- Tapioca/Yuca – 2 lbs
- Gram flour/Besan – ¾ Cup
- Rice Flour – ¼ up
- Garlic crushed – 6 to 8 cloves
- Red chili powder - 3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ Tsp
- Green chilly finely chopped - 4
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Salt - to taste
- Curry Leaves chopped - 3 Sprigs
- Peel the skin of tapioca. Cut into half first. From the first half slit them into thin strips. Repeat for the rest of the tapioca
- Pour water in a bowl and add tapioca strips. Wash it once and drain in a colander
- Mix all the items under 'For the batter', by adding water to a consistency of dosa batter.
- Heat oil for deep frying, keep it in medium flame.
- Add a palm full of tapioca strips to the batter. Take less than a handful of the mixture, shape it in the form of chicken legs, and deep-fry it in oil.
- Drain the kozhikkal/tapioca fritters to a paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- Serve immediately with a Cup of Chai/tea!