Is there anyone out there who don't like Vattayappam??Vattayam also follows the similar process of other Appam that is made by fermenting the rice batter. It is Keralites favorite breakfast/snack, can be eaten as it is or can be served with spicy Chicken/Egg Curry. So let us go the process of making the simple yet delicious Vattayappam. Try it out at home for sure and see the smiles of your friends and family. Enjoy !!
- Long Grain Rice or Raw rice (pachari) - 2 cups
- Grated coconut - ½ cup (or coconut milk - ½ Cup)
- Parboiled rice cooked - ½ cup
- Salt - a pinch
- Sugar - Cup
- Yeast - ½ tsp
- Cashews and Raisins ghee fried - A handful
- Wash the rice twice and drain the water.
- Soak the rice in water for four-six hours. Grind the soaked rice along with cooked rice, grated coconut, salt and sugar by adding water.
- The batter should of the consistency of Idli batter. Pour the batter into a wide bowl.
- Add yeast to the batter and mix well. Check for the sugar and salt and adjust.
- Let it ferment overnight or for six-eight hours.
- Grease a round plate or cake pan, pour the fermented batter in the plate. Top it with ghee fried cashews and raisins.
- Steam it for about seven-ten minutes or a till a sharp knife or tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Slice it and serve warm as it is or with some spicy Egg Masala/Chicken Curry