Wishing all my Friends & Readers a Very Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year!
I would like to take a moment this Holiday season to Thank all my wonderful readers and fellow bloggers, who has always been very encouraging and very supportive through out.
Anyone prepping up for a last minute Christmas Fruit cake bake? Do not worry if you do not have dry fruits soaked in alcohol. I promise you can still bake a great fruit cake - A non alcoholic, ezee breezy one. I've a traditional Kerala Plum Cake recipe here, posted some time back if you would like to make it the authentic way.
So let's proceed with the making of this Non-alcoholic Fruit Cake.
1. All-purpose flour - 1 ½ cups
2. Light brown sugar - 1 cup
3. Water - 1 cup
4. Butter – ¼ cup (diced)
5. Pumpkin Pie Spice – 1 tsp (or Ground cinnamon – ½ tsp +Ground cloves – ½ tsp.)
6. Ground ginger - 1 tsp(optional)
7. Salt – a pinch
8. Eggs – 2 lightly beaten
9. Baking soda – 1 tsp
10. Pure vanilla extract - 1tsp
11. Raisins - ½ cup
12. Dates chopped – ½ cup
13. Tutti frutti – ½ tsp
14. Add more dry fruits like cashews, glazed cherries etc. if you have them handy.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Take a baking pan and butter them or spray with a nonstick vegetable spray.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl, mix with a wire whisk. Set aside
- Put all the dry fruits in a bowl, spread a tsp of flour over. Mix the dry fruits with a spoon (This is done so that the dry fruits do not sink in the bottom of the batter)
- Bring the water to boil and set aside.
- To Make Black Caramel: Heat up a thick bottom pan and add ½ Cup sugar to it. Keep stirring on med-high heat. First they start sticking, and then they caramelize to brown sauce and start getting black. When they turn black add boiling water and stir well. Switch off the stove. Stir well till the black caramel is melted and set aside.(Please be cautious when you pour hot water in to the caramelize sugar)
- In a bowl, cream butter and rest ½ Cup of sugar with a hand mixer or with a wire whisk.
- Add lightly beaten eggs to the batter and run the hand mixer until they are well combined.
- Pour the black caramel little by little and run the hand mixer to get a thin batter
- Fold in the flour mix, vanilla extract and dry fruits until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee or Tea !