Ghee Rice or Neychoru as we call it, is a specialty rice in the Kannur/Malabar region. Neychoru is made by sauteing rice in ghee and aromatic whole spices and cooking them till soft. This is made richer by adding ghee fried cashews, raisins and garnishing with fried onions.
I normally do not need any specific reason for making this. But of course if I have any plans to make Mutton/Goat Curry I will not give a second thought of what should I make for lunch. It will be mostly Neychoru/Ghee rice as Mutton curry and Ghee Rice are really a wonderful combo. Ghee Rice do not need any extra effort for cooking as they take only the normal basmathi rice's cooking time. So Enjoy making Neychoru/Ghee Rice :)
Bamathi Rice/Jeerakashala Rice - 2 cups
Ghee - 2tbsp
Green Cardamom -3 pods
Cloves - 4
Cinnamon Stick 2 inch size - 2
Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
Black pepper corns - 10
Salt to taste
Water - 4 cups
Onions - 1
Cashews, Raisins a handful(more/less as per your preference)
Oil to deep fry the 1 onion(1/2 cup)
- Heat up a pan and pour the oil. When the oil is hot enough deep fry the onions till golden brown and set aside.
- Wash the rice and soak them in water for 20 minutes. Drain off the water fully and set aside.
- Pour four cups of water into a pot/vessel and get to boil. Set aside
- Meanwhile heat up a thick bottom vessel, add ghee and saute the cashews and raisins and take them out when they turn golden brown.
- Add cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns, fennel seeds to the same ghee and stir for a minute or two till the nice aroma of whole spices starts to spread :)
- Add the rice to it and fry for two-three minutes so that rice absorbs the aroma of spices and ghee.
- Add the boiled hot water and salt to it. Stir till the bottom of the pan with a spatula or spoon and cover and let it boil.
- When the water and rice starts to boil reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook.
- Switch off the stove when the water is fully absorbed and rice is cooked to soft.
- Leave it uncovered for ten minutes and let it release the heat a little bit so that the rice grains do not break when you stir.
- Now stir the rice gently or move them to two or three platters so that the rice do not stick to each other.
- Garnish the Neychoru/ Ghee Rice with ghee fried cashews, raisins and fried onions. Serve warm with Raita and any Non-Veg/Veg curry of your choice. Enjoy!!!
I am really happy that I was honored with an Inspirational Blog Award by Christy Gerald of My Kitchen Flavors - Bon Appetit!. Thank you so much Christy for this award and will surely try to Inspire my fellow bloggers more by appreciating them on their great work. After all that is all what I can do to inspire them more on their excellent creativity :)
The inspirational blogger award is got a very lovely thought of answering 8 questions regarding you as a person along with this sweet award. So the questions seems to be the following one's and My answers are marked in Red and bold under each questions. I'm feeling so weird answering some 'questions and answers' after so long time :)
1.What makes you laugh,smile or giggle?
I do not need to hear any big jokes, to be frank I laugh on all the silly things happening around. Maybe any silly movie jokes, my kids pranks, my hubby mischief's, I even laugh when I slip and fall every year in the rock ice/snow even if my bump hurts terribly bad ;) ha ha ha..
2.What are your dreams for your future?
I do not dream high and take life as it comes. I believe in the thought 'Man proposes God Disposes'. So why to regret by dreaming something and they fail?
But of course will always pray to God to keep my family and all around the world in good health and mental peace.
3.If you are going to a cruise,where would it be and why?
I would love to explore Hawaii and/or Alaska as I have heard it is a great destination for family and kids. Waiting for my little girl to turn at-least three :)
4.How would you spend your vacation and with whom?
Like most of the 'Pravasi'/Bird of Passage my vacation idea is always the India trip with my parent/in-laws and my whole big family. Eating In/Out, cooking less, eating a lot of ethnic/non-ethnic dishes cooked by anyone not me ;) and trying to reach out all the nostalgic places of my childhood.
5.If given a life,what life would you choose ? Your life now or your past?
I do not believe in life as such past, present, future. Life is beautiful at times, sad sometimes, freaky, challenging and many more. I would not like to 'dwell in the past' but cherish all those good moments lived/still living as a sibling, daughter, wife, mother and friend.
6.Is there something that you wished before when you were young but you didn't get it?
One???? there are many so 'pass' :)
7.Have you been in a situation where you might have given up but you still choose to move on?
Yes, many maybe and I have learned 'you never know what life has kept for you next'. Good/bad it is life, just move on :)
8. Is there someone in your life who has been your source of strength and inspiration?
My parents, siblings and husband is my strength and always have been supportive.
Now let me pass it on to my fellow bloggers who have always inspired me with their great innovative recipes, wonderful pictures and inspiring comments on my posts :) So grab it friends feel proud for the award and pass it on to your favorite blogger friends..
1. Anzz @ AnzzCafe
2. Uma @ My Kitchen Experiments
3. Faseela @ Good Food Ends With Good Talk
4. Sonali Pradhan @ Only Fish recipes
5. Sobha Shyam @ Good Food
6. Teena @ Teenz Yummy Delights
7. Nalini Suresh @ Nalini's Kitchen
8. Kurryleaves @ Kurryleaves
9. Ramya @ Ramya's Recipe
10. Vineetha @ Ruchi
11. Hemalatha @ Hema's Kitchen
Check out their wonderful space and encourage them as well :)
Sending this to Sinful Delights hosted by Vardhini @ Zesty Palette