- Fermented Idli Batter - 1½ cup
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Butter milk/Moru ~ ¾ cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Ginger finely chopped ~ 2 tsp
- Few curry leaves chopped
- Shallots/Kunjully finely chopped - 2 small
- Wash and soak the rice for 4-5 hrs. Drain the water and grind the rice by adding buttermilk to make a smooth batter.
- Add this to the Idli batter, add salt and mix everything well together. Reserve
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, add curry leaves, ginger, shallots, green chillies and saute till shallots turn transulent.
- Add this seasoning to the prepared batter.
- Pour oil in an Unniappam vessel, pour a scoop of batter into it. fry till light golden brown color.
- Turn it over and fry for few mins till other side also turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oil using a skewer
- Repeat the process using remaining batter
- Serve hot as it is or with any Coconut Chutney, Tomato Chutney, Sambhar or Ketchup.
Note:- If you don't want the green chili bites(unlike grown ups sometimes kids have problem biting green chilies) you can add a tsp of chilly powder in the batter instead of chopped green chilies
Recipe Source: Vanitha