Butter Chicken also known as Murgh Makhani is made with chicken(Murgh in Hindi) pieces marinated in spices and cooked in Butter(Makhan in Hindi) and Tomato gravy and hence the name Murgh Makhani. The chicken is traditionally cooked in Tandoor but can be grilled or pan fried. I have done it by marinating the chicken and broiling in the conventional oven. The other easier option is to pan fry the chicken pieces on both sides till they are half cooked and adding it to the gravy.The recipe follows, enjoy this delicacy with Roti/Naan/Parotta or Rice.
For the marinade:-
- Chicken breasts - 4 halves(cut into med size cubes)
- Ginger-garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder -1 tsp
- Salt as needed
For the gravy:-
- Onion - 2 med or 1 big(chopped roughly)
- Green chilly - 3 chopped
- Ginger, garlic crushed - 2 tbsp
- Tomato paste - 5 tbsp(if using fresh tomato grind tomato with 2 tbsp cashews and add it to the gravy)
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
- Garam masala - 2 tsp
- Fresh corainder leaves chopped - 2tbsp
- Fenugreek leaves - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1tsp(optional)
- Butter - 3tbsp(i have used oil for sauting, if you prefer to add butter you an do so)
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- half and half cream(lowfat cream) - 1/2 cup(u can use heavy whipping cream as well)
- water as needed
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree Farenhite
- Marinate the chicken with Ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, chilly powder and coriander powder. Set aside for 30 mins.
- Spread the chicken pieces in a silver foil tray and broil it for 15-20 mins by taking it out and turning the sides in between(easiest alternative is to pan fry it in 2 tbsp of oil for 10-12 mins just to half cook it)
- Now heat a pan, pour oil. Add onions, crushed ginger-garlic, green chillies and saute till onion is translucent.
- Add chilly powder, coriander powder, salt and 1 tbsp of fenugreek leaves. Add 1 cup of water and let it cook for 5 mins.Switch off the stove and set aside to let it cool
- Once the sauted onion mix is cool grind it to a smooth paste.
- Now heat up a pan, add butter, add the grinded paste and stir well in med flame.
- Now add the tomato paste and mix gently so that tomato paste cooks evenly with onion.
- Add some water to the gravy if it is very thick to adjust the consistency and get the gravy to boil in med flame(since we're gonna add cream at the end the gray will thicken again, so add water to make it little thin)
- Add the chicken pieces and cream. Give it a gentle stir to mix and cook it covered for 3-5 mins till chicken absorbs some sourness of the gravy.
- Sprinkle some more fenugreek leaves and garam masala on top and mix gently.
- Add a tsp of sugar as well to reduce the sourness of the gravy if any.
- Let it cook for another 2 mins and switch off the flame.
- Move to a serving dish and serve warm with roti/Naan/Parotta/Rice..