Ithal Orotti is a malabar special breakfast/Snack item that is served with any kind of chicken/egg/veg curry or can be eaten as it is.The name of the dish almost conveys you the method of its preparation. Ithal means Petals/Layers and Orotti means Roti. So this is a layer/petals of rotis made with rice and coconut milk. This is such an easy dish to make, kids and grown ups will love it alike.
- Raw rice/Basmathi rice/Jeera rice - 2 cups
- Cooked par boiled rice - 1/2 cup
- coconut milk - 3/4 cup + 1/4 cup(if the milk is very thick you can dilute it by adding some water to make a medium thick coconut milk)
- salt to taste
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Cooking spray to greese the cooking plate
- Soak the rice for 3-4hrs, wash and drain the rice.
- Grind the soacked ice, parboiled rice, salt and coconut milk together, transfer to a bowl.
- Spray a flat bottom pan with cooking spray or grease it with butter/oil and pour a big laddle of batter into it and steam it in a Idli cooker or any other steamer to set say 2-3 mins.
- Take out the pan apply some ghee on top of the set roti and 1-2 tsp of coconut milk. Pour a laddle of batter and steam it agin for 2-3 mins or till it is set(the batter becomes dry and not run off the pan is the what i mean by set)
- Switch off the flame and let it cool. Turn over the Roti to a plate.
- Cut and serve with any Chicken/Egg/Veg curry or serve it as it is.
Note:- you can opt of ghee if you are on less fat/cholesterol free diet. Also you can use either of them ie coconut milk or ghee when you make the layers.